Thursday, April 29, 2010

Down Memory Lane a bit...

I have had memories pouring back to me today. It all started down the plot when I was covering our new brassica cage with fleece ready for the next few days of horrible weather. It looked just like an old Nissan Hut and then with the posters on the shed door 'Dig for Victory' and 'Land Girls I kept thinking of all the good things everyone used to do, simple things, like Alys on her Edible Garden programme last night. She made fruit leathers and also did flower pounding. These have definitely caught my imagination so I brought home some violets and pretty leaves and the hammer. It really works I love the leaves especially. I am about to collect all my favourite poems and fairy stories and I want to decorate the pages with the flowers that belong to the poems. This new found craft will work very well and a really summery thing to do. The Fairy story is one I was told over and over when I was teeny tiny and I treasured it in my memory as a special time with my Dad. He would tell me the story of the Lady in the Vinegar Bottle ( about a fairy with attitude) and the rhyme about the little girl who wouldn't wash her face, every night. As I grew up and mentioned either of these to others they would tell me they had never heard of them. I couldn't find them in books, were they real, had my Dad made them up? This became an obsession with me - until today that is - they were real I didn't imagine them, Dad knew them. Ian, my postie brought the proof. The Lady in the Vinegar bottle by Margaret Read MacDonald was written in 1940 as a variation on one of Grimm's Fairy Tales. I found Miss Nan Knockabout on the net. It was there all the time I just hadn't searched for it right. Both of these will take pride of place in my collection and I just need to find a fairy to press and all will be well. Where do I find one of those I wonder?





No comments:

Post a Comment