Saturday, April 17, 2010

Oh, the buzzin' of the bees


Having promised myself last year to start a proper aromatic herb garden, I have spent the last three weeks trailing poor Bri from garden centre to garden centre looking for Sweet Rocket, Woodruff and Bergamot which I finally found. To my delight, I have also picked up some Ginger Mint and a wonderfully pineapple scented Chamomile. These now complete my collection of perfumed flowering herbs which will bring in the bees to the strawberries, apples, plums and raspberries. I am expecting a good crop this year if the bees do their work so I have treated them to the cutest little bee house. The basement of the bee house can also be rented out to ladybirds who, I hope, in return for bed and breakfast will take care of the greenfly. I think I've turned green! But how am I going to deal with those slugs and snails? A glass of beer I think, not for them, for me.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I'd known - I have plenty of woodruff in the garden. Also sweet rocket, which has been cropping up in our garden ever since we've lived here (31 years). Pop down to 2a one day and I'll show you round - and you might get a cuppa!

    ReplyDelete