We're getting a bit fed up with this weather as we can't get anything done. We have about 80 small flower plants to put out and a load of weeding to do with the onions etc. but no sooner do we start, than down it comes again. We aren't having much luck with our beans again this year. The dwarf French got windburn even though they were fleeced up so we have had to plant some more. On the bright side, however, our first batch of Cos lettuce are doing fine and we picked our first radishes yesterday and then forgot to bring them home with us!! However we did remember to take the rhubarb which we made into rhubarb and strawberry crumble (strawberries from last years crop). We are now waiting for this years. The first earlies are coming along and also the Anyas that Julie gave us are springing up in the sacks.
We have decided that, next year, we will begin sowing and planting much later and to start everything in a cold frame as last year we had much better results that way. We will also make sure that we cover the whole plot with muck in the Autumn. One thing about allotmenteering is, that you are learning how not to do things all the time!!
Bit by bit
5 days ago