Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Incredible Journey

When we first started our time travelling, we thought it would be fun to do, something to amuse us. How wrong can you be? This journey became obsessive and we really couldn't say why at the time except it was interesting, full of surprises, turned us into detectives, made us think outside the box and gave us a great deal of pleasure. The results have now made us realise how much the past creeps into the present. I, for one, have found out why my Dad always took me and my brother to Bacons End at the weekend to see the little piggies. We went every Sunday religiously without question because it was how we spent time together. I found out why I still have to look into every hedge that has a hole in it to find birds nests and can recognise their eggs and I can name most trees in Britain by their leaves. I know now why we walked down every lane looking for wild flowers, crab apples, oak apples, hedgehogs. water voles and harvest mice which we always seemed to find. I know why my brother and I are tree huggers it is because my whole family came from the country whether it be Shropshire, Etwall or Bedgelert, it was a natural way for them to spend their time. It is obviously built into our genes. We were also miners of either gold or slate and our nephew, the geologist, is still in the rocks, he looks for oil. The journey continues...
Brian, has found out why music is so important to his life. It has been in his genes since 1837, each generation has had something to do with entertainment and the theatre. He too can't pass a musical instrument without trying it out. He can't have a shower without singing, no matter how very early it is, believe me! Bri is also an urban cowboy through and through the only concession being the lotty, but not surprising when we found all of his roots in the centre of London or Paris. It is really sad coming to the end of all these discoveries, but we do know ourselves a little better for these forays into our pasts. For instance I know I would be really at home in Lark Rise, Bri on the other hand in Candleford.

No comments:

Post a Comment