Friday, October 2, 2009

Reminder Days

There are certain days that just shout out to remind you of a certain time or place and certain things that go with those days. For me, it is a day like today; overcast, still and quiet. It shouts TOFFEE APPLES. When I came out of school on an October or November afternoon, there used to be an old man selling toffee apples at the gates and for an old three pence he would sell me a wonderful dark golden crack toffee apple. I saved my crisp money for this treat and it was always a grey day. These days are known to me and my family now as 'Toffee Apple Days'. I love 'em toffee apples and quiet, still, grey days such happy memories come to mind like soon to be bonfire night with woodsmoke filling the air...


Now there are other treats that provoke memories too, such as Butterkist. This always reminds me of snowy mornings walking with my Mom, snow up to my knees, to the nearest shop to buy me a bag of the lovely crispy sweet candy. We never walked to get any at any other time. I think it was an excuse to go out in the snow. I love snow and still buy Butterkist but I can't be trusted with a big bag...


Now Bri, on the other hand, can't be trusted with Pink Rock. He begs on his cell phone and pleads with anyone packing a case going away to any seaside town in England, preferably going Oop North as this is the hottest, to bring him back a stick - a big stick mind, not a tiddly one and it has to be pink. He doesn't seem to have memories to go with it he just loves the stuff. When he text Yvonne to say R O C K spells rock, he got a text back saying T E E T H spells teeth, our dentist can't believe his luck that he still has almost all of his teeth.

Hot doughnuts, lovingly called by us 'duffnuts' always remind us of quilt fairs as we never leave without having a hot doughnut drenched in sugar and cinnamon. This is a real treat for both of us...

I wonder how many people have these special days...

Tomorrow, according to the weather forecast is going to be a right 'Winnie the Pooh! ( a blustery day)

No comments:

Post a Comment