Sunday, September 13, 2009

Garden Spells

Thanks go this week to my little pear tree for delivering a second helping (around another 30 or 40 pounds) of delicious pears from the top branches. We couldn't reach the very top layer but, to our pure delight, the next morning, after a very cold night, they had dropped to the floor. A couple of weeks ago, the little tree seemed to be throwing pears at me to let me know it was ready for me to pick them, which I thought was really odd, as I have just been reading a book called 'Garden Spells' where a little apple tree kept throwing apples at people, and when they ate them, it showed them a future event that would change their lives. It was a good book as it was an unusual magical story which I really enjoyed. Fortunately the only thing my pears told me was to put them in two new recipes I have found, one being an Italian Country Pear Cake, the other, Pear Frangipan Tart. I have also found another new recipe to use up apples from the plot which is Apple Parkin. I still have the frangipan one to bake, but the others are hot out of the oven and looking and smelling good. But, the proof will be in the eating... Oooh, I just thought I bet the pear cake will go really well with a glass of pear cider which I have also just discovered.. pearfection!!

1 comment:

  1. Both of those look scrummy!

    Looking at the photo, I note that your cougettes are still going well too...!

    ReplyDelete