Saturday, August 23, 2008

Love me, Love my Tomatoes


When we first started our allotment, my brother in law, Terry, and my niece, Jay, weren't particularly interested in what we were growing. However, since they have been sampling the produce, they have expressed an interest in growing their own. We have given them both a tomato plant, and Jay a brocolli and Terry and Yvonne a cucumber plant. The plants were duly esconced in the garden and conservatory respectively. Unfortunately, Jay's brocolli succumbed to caterpillars, however her tomato plant has four tomatoes and lots of flowers.

Terry and Yvonne's tomato plant has gone berserk and they have more cucumbers on their plant thean we have on ours (Not that we, as seasoned gardeners are jealous!)

The point is, that they are both now so excited with their efforts and are really keen to grow more stuff. That's the thing about this allotment lark, once you're hooked, there's no going back

2 comments:

  1. After tenderley watering, feeding and talking to our tomatoe plant, we have had our first taste of our produce, and boy were they good! The cucumber plant is coming along nicely with 2 good size cucumbers and several smaller ones, so tasting is some way off yet.

    Plum & Bri kindly gave us lots of herbs too, and we now have an established herb pot which we use constantly, so much in fact I bought a special cutter (just like pro cooks) to chop the herbs finely, does a grand job too. So thanks Plum & Bri for all the produce you send our way, we have never eaten so healthy!

    Tel & Von xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too tenderly watered my cucumber and tomato plants and I'm sorry to say that the cucumber plant has today gone to plant heaven. Although I tried my best to keep this one alive, my daughter keeps me very busy too so I could not care for it as much as I would have liked to.
    However, my tomato plant is doing ok. I have about 6 tomatoes and lots of flowers.
    Isabella and I will let you know how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete