Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Retirement, What retirement?

When she wrote her last blog, Plum didn't tell you that, due to my back problem, I have had to give up my position as Senior Stock Replenishment Executive (shelf stacker) at my local superstore. I shan’t miss having to get up at 5.45 every day especially in the Winter! However, now that I am 'retired' you may ask how do I fill my time every day? Good question, except that no one knows the answer. It is a peculiar thing that when you have lots of time to do everything, nothing seems to get done because there is always tomorrow. To be fair, I have been somewhat incapacitated for a few months but now I am back on track.

I have been helping Plum clear the lottie for the Winter which was most satisfying as all I could do for the growing season was to watch her struggle to keep the whole thing going. I am proud that, despite everything, she managed to win Joint First again this year. If we do it again next year it will be embarrassing!

I have also now acquired other duties now that I don’t go to work such as doing the shopping while Plum ‘mucks out’ on Mondays. I am also supposed to be learning to cook, and I have Monty Don's cookbook to hand, but so far, I haven’t actually done any. The idea is that we split the household chores so we have more time to spend on our other pursuits such as quilting and music.

I have also joined the committee of our allotment association and we have been cat sitting for our neighbours for the last two weeks

Last Friday we went on a jolly to the Peak District to the highest bookshop in England at Brierlow Bar nr Buxton and then cut through the Peak valleys to Bakewell. The sky was cloudless and the day was as warm as any we had in the Summer, fabulous!

We went to Elford Village Hall to see visiting folk singer Slaid Cleves fro Austin Texas on 23rd September and last weekend we cleared the little pear tree and went to Terry’s for a BBQ and tonight we are off to Sarah’s for tea so you see there is always plenty to do when you have ‘retired’

No comments:

Post a Comment