Sunday, January 2, 2011

I Want to Know...

...just like Davy in Ann of Green Gables I have a 'I want to know' mentality. In this instance I just had to find out why my granny and my great granny and probably my great, great granny always had a piece of pork pie for breakfast on Christmas morning. I just got this snippet of family gossip from my Auntie Mary when doing more research on the family tree and she gave me a jar of the very old family recipe, (no not whisky) but a jar of wonderful piccalilli, which I had with my slice of Christmas morning pork pie. One has to do their bit, don't you know when it comes to keeping up tradition.
Well, I have found out that it is eaten because no one had time to cook a breakfast on Christmas morning. In Melton Mowbray they had pork pie in medieval times because there was no turkey. In Nottingham, D.H. Lawrence had it for his breakfast. It all seems a tradition coming from Staffordshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, or in my case, Shropshire. Well now I know!!. If there is anyone out there that knows more please tell me...

2 comments:

  1. Oh oh! Me, me, miss!

    I'd never heard of pork pie for Christmas breakfast in the whole of my 44 years until a couple of days ago when mum happened to mention that this is what her family had when she was little! Mum's dad was from Solihull, and mum's mum from Handsworth Wood (I think) - will try to find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great stuff Hazel, hAppy New Year!! see you soon

    ReplyDelete